Friday, 20 January 2006

Home

Tonight we were out publicizing (putting up posters, handing out info and chatting to lots of people in bars) HOMELESSNESS SUNDAY.



Over the last few months I have had the priveledge of being involved in planning 'Homelessness Sunday North East' It's an even to be held at Durham Cathedral a week on Sunday for the North East of England to raise awareness about the problems of homelessness in this region. About five of us have been meeting regularly to plan it, Chris who is representing the charities (esp Centerpoint) and Nils on behalf of the Cathedral have done so much work and really made the whole thing possible. The process has been challenging in a number of ways. It's been new for me to work on something like this from a more secular point of view. It has also been hard attempting to communicate the extent of what homelessness is when I know so little about it. It was a highlight of my first term here to visit the people and charities and find out more. With a week to go it is really starting to come together and I am starting to get excited. Lots of charities are involved (and homeless people) each hosting different stations that will, hopefully, communicate a different aspect of homelessness and what can be done. I am excited to learn more. The thing that struck me most is the sense of hopelessness and just how difficult it can be. The feeling of entrapment that homelessness can bring and the loss of identity and worth. Durham is a rich little city which appears to have no homeless but actually has lots (they are just hidden) and there is unbelievably little provision for them, the main reason for this is that the prices of houses are raised so high by the demand from all the students here.

I am one of these students, about to choose my first house. In the next couple of weeks my free time is going to be taken up with house hunting, finding a place to call home for the next year. There are lots of decisions to be made in the next few days....LOTS! But I am excited to have a little house with my friends, to cook and 'decorate' and all those kind of things....To make it home. This is something I am thinking about.....As cheesy as this might sound........What makes a home and what does it mean. One of the stations in this homeless thing features lots of pictures of homeless children and young people and a quote from each about what is home to them. It's interesting to think about. There are lots of 'homeless people' in the bible.

No comments: