The one I promised...amie's answer to DSU brownies

This one is a combo of at least 4 recipe's that I have tried and combined to make these. The secret is the white chocolate chunks because people always think that they are bits of fudge once cooked.
150g of butter
200g dark chocolate (2 bars of green and blacks works great but not everyone has that so any choc works good mostly, usually G&B is on 3for2 at Tesco so grab a bar of the white too)
230g sugar
2 eggs and 1 egg yoke
2 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt
150g flour
bar of white chocolate broken into chunks
pecans or walnuts
stuff for frosting listed below
preheat oven to 175 C
grease and flour baking tin (I normally greese it then dust flour all over, shaking well to get it in the corners and not get much excess)
melt about 150g of butter in a pan with 200g dark chocolate
whisk in sugar
add an egg and beat in
add an egg and beat in
add an egg yoke and beat in
add vanilla and salt and beat
stir in flour
leave to cool slightly
add in broken up white chocolate and maybe pecan nuts
pour into dish
bake in the oven, check after 30 min i do this by sticking a chopstick in or knitting needle (but if you want to do it properly a toothpick works) it's good for there to be crumbs but bad for there to be batter if it needs to go in longer keep an eye on it so the edges don't burn. (The last couple of times I have made them I have sat on the kitchen floor watching them cook whilst talking to Andy...if you don't have an Andy to talk to use an oven timer)
for frosting
my home ec teacher taught me a great short cut which is just to put broken up cadburys chocolate ontop when it comes out the oven and let it be melted by the heat of the brownies, spread it over and leave to cool then cut. Alternativly turn out brownies onto cooling rack, leave to cool, cut into squares then dust with icing sugar or frost.
Frosting
make your own or try what I do...
when I make frosting I kind of guess. I usually melt some of the dark chocolate and a bit of milk chocolate (like a fun size bar size of each or if it's a bigger bar then a row) in a cup in the microwave and check every 20 seconds and stir. When it's melted I add a little water (sometimes a couple of drops of cream,) and keep stirring it with a fork then add a spoon of icing sugar at a time until it's think. I spread it on the brownies after I have cut them and put them on the plate, dust with icing sugar and serve.
Nigella's brownie recipe talks about dusting the pile with icing sugar and then lighting it up with birthday candles to make it look festive, that's what we did for annika's birthday brownie tower.
3 comments:
Those brownies look sinful! I am actually not a chocolate girl, but they do look good. I may convert.
Hey Amie! I was going to ask you for your brownie recipe as they're amazing!! Thank you for your comment on my blog! I will think of you wenever I am enjoying an amie brownie! Love you Amie!! Nic xxx
Amie you are a legend! I opened your blog to find this picture of brownies exploding out from the page at me, yummmeeeey!
Hopefully, hopefully, the dress thing will work out, im very scared, but there will be picture when it hopefully works! fingers crossed.
How is it going with you? XXXX
Post a Comment