Thursday, 7 December 2006

Silent Naked, Holy Naked

I just read Chelsea's comment on my last post reminding me of this and laughed out loud...hard!!! I thought I would share the story.

Once ce ce Ponce ce ce time (as my kids at work always say it) during my first year of bible school...

I had such wonderful roomates and right before Christmas we were given a night off from classes to have a 'room night.' Most rooms hang out together on this night but we did that so much anyway we wanted to do something fun and Christmassy. In the afternoon we baked cookies and in the evening wrapped up warm, ventured out into the pouring rain and went from door to door of the staff houses, giving out cookies and singing carols. We made our own (amazing) arrangements of Joy to the World and some other songs, but joy to the world was our favourite (I have a funny recording in my iTunes still.)

This was around the same time I did the Sinter Klaus thing for Andy (Dec 6th) and so I had found a "Dutch" language version of Silent night on the internet when looking up about Dutch stuff for him. This was all about 2 years before Andy and I became Andy and I.

I remember coming into room 7 with this piece of paper with the 'Dutch' Silent Night lyrics and sitting on the floor sounding it out as my roommates laughed SO HARD at me...None of us knew a word of Dutch.

So back to room night, we're bundled up, about to venture into the rain with our cookies, and we have the bright idea to try and sing silent night in 'Dutch' for Andy when we get to his house. So we try it once or twice and think we are ready to go...Yeah we can't pronounce a syllable but we figure the points we get for effort would HAVE to compensate.

After touring a few houses we get to his, knock on the door and Andy and Dave are stood there. It's DARK and the paper is torn and as wet as us. A couple of girls bail but Chelsea, Heather and I huddle round this bit of paper and give it our all.

I remember we were so proud of ourselves and thought Andy would think this was so cool which is why, when we looked up from the lyrics to Andy's baffled face our hearts sunk a little. At first I thought it was probably just the fact we laughed and giggled our way through it so much...THAT must be why he couldn't understand it so we tried a bit more.

"Can I see that paper?" Andy asked
He looked at it in the light then looks at us and says "This isn't Dutch"

All this trouble and we had been singing a German (or Deutschland) version of Silent night.......oh it was funny.

The next day I was telling the fiasco to a German friend and she asks "What did you sing" so I start singing it as best I could

"Stille Nacht, Heil'ge Nacht"

My friend started to laugh and says "Amie, the way you were singing it, you were actually singing Silent Naked, Holy Naked!!!"

That was my first attempt at Dutch.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great story Auntie Amie I really laugh at it, I can imagine it really well in my head all accept the people i don't know of course I would like to hear it though
love MEGAN

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy writing comments to u Amie
VERY COOL STORY
we have known each over for 13 years guess who I am

Anonymous said...

Hi Amie,
Great story! It reminds me of when I was at Capesand the Breckels told me to say smthg to one of the German boys...turns out I was actually telling them that I love them! Oh languages! Hope you're well.
Zabrina

Poetsch Family said...

What a great funny story. You are a good writer, I enjoy reading your blog.

Anonymous said...

hahahahahahaha!!! oh that story is even funnier reading it and imagining how you would tell it. that was such a crazy night! oh the memories! i was reading through my yearbook the other day and thinking about all those times. ai yi yi (as twyla would say). oh boy. i will have to tell my new dutch in-laws about our first attempt at their language and see what they think.;) love you!! chels