Tuesday, 7 November 2006

Getting organized

As I have been coming and going from bible school, uni and other places for the last few years the 'stuff' in my room has just accumulated and accumulated more and more. To the point that there is NO space in my (not too small) bedroom (and that's with most the stuff I just brought home still packed up in the guest room. So I am getting sorted...It's a mammoth job. SO many bags going to charity, so much going to the dump, lots and lots and still there is too much. It's not good to have so much stuff.

I am learning to be ruthless but it's hard for me. EVERYTHING has a memory and all good memories associated with it and sometimes I wonder if I'll remember all the stuff associated with these things if I get rid. The thing is, you can't keep stuff for ever and it is just stuff but a lot of it is made special, even things that are kind of junky, because of what they remind you of or who gave it to you.

I have a trunk, it was my Mum's growing up and now I get to put all my things in it, my Mum has been for a while and I am having fun building up a trunk of memories from the past and a bottom drawer for the future. One thing that is really fun is that my Mum has always saved all my things, even the gift wrap from my baby presents, so now, the precious things I put in the trunk are wrapped in special papers like baby gift wrap. My China dolls are in there, first curl, music boxes, favourite toys, baby clothes, photos, programs from plays I was in, souvenirs like 'Disney dollars' from places I have been, all the way through to the box and pink champagne bottle from my 21st birthday. It's all made me quite sentimental.

Last night I sorted through all my artwork, I have some on my walls and other walls around the house but I have lots that isn't. I organized my favorites into my portfolio. It was kind of interesting because I arranged in Chronologically and it was interesting to see how it changes. I love art, now I am home a little more and have all my things I might get into it again, I definitely want to, looking through last night inspired me. Looking through it all I think I peaked around age 15/16, GCSE age (last 2 years of highscool) I think at college I was kind of pushed into a direction I didn't really want to go by my very (snobbishly) 'artsy' art teacher. I would like to get back to it now though.

I start work tomorrow. I'll let you know how that goes...my first day at a real grown up job!!! Although I guess really I am still just getting paid to play which is great! My sore throat is gone, my nose is still stuffy and I am taking everything I know is good for me so I am hoping it will be all good tomorrow morning.

1 comment:

K said...

good luck with the job and all the organizing. It sounds like a daunting task to undertake. We are in the middle of cleaning and organizing too. I keep every little things my kids have done and because we school at home, that is alot!! I have boxes of every picture theyve drawn or note they wrote to myself and Ed, writing smaples, wrapping paper, etc... Our storage room is packed and there are still years to go of things I will be keeping. Glad you are feeling a bit better. Aidan is lying in bed right now sick. It sucks.